Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Discuss anime and manga culture in general. Ask for recommendations on what to read or watch next here as well.

Is rounding off / ending a story a difficult task?

Poll ended at June 3, 2020 19:43:02

Yes
7
47%
No
2
13%
Depends
5
33%
Not Sure
0
No votes
Not really thought about it
1
7%
 
Total votes: 15

Maxsous
Member
Member
Posts: 251
Joined: April 23, 2020 12:29:51
Location: United States

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 57794Post Maxsous
May 10, 2020 9:08:55

Luxvan wrote:
May 10, 2020 8:48:30
editors/publishers could have a big role in it, as they might force a series to continue somehow
a great recent example would be Shokugeki, which clearly had a great ending set up with its main villain being defeated and concluding this long, drawn out arc with little left for the story to finish off, but instead out of nowhere entirely new things are established that make no sense and go completely against the spirit of the rest of the series. the shocking drop of quality, which was universally disliked by fans until Shounen Jump finally pulled the plug on it, came at the same time of a new editor, and it's been said or rumored that Kishi was forced to keep going with Naruto for longer than he wanted, so it makes me think something similar might've happened with Shokugeki.


Maxsous wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:16:11
My question is why is it hard to continue a Manga/Anime.

RIP HUNTER X HUNTER
ifrit wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:19:12
Maxsous wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:16:11
My question is why is it hard to continue a Manga/Anime.

RIP HUNTER X HUNTER
it's honestly not that hard to continue something. Some of em just lazy mfs
togashi's body is broken af, dude can barely move most of the time

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jg4879
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: November 6, 2019 22:49:57

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 57884Post Jg4879
May 10, 2020 13:55:47

Luxvan wrote:
May 10, 2020 8:48:30
editors/publishers could have a big role in it, as they might force a series to continue somehow
a great recent example would be Shokugeki, which clearly had a great ending set up with its main villain being defeated and concluding this long, drawn out arc with little left for the story to finish off, but instead out of nowhere entirely new things are established that make no sense and go completely against the spirit of the rest of the series. the shocking drop of quality, which was universally disliked by fans until Shounen Jump finally pulled the plug on it, came at the same time of a new editor, and it's been said or rumored that Kishi was forced to keep going with Naruto for longer than he wanted, so it makes me think something similar might've happened with Shokugeki.


Maxsous wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:16:11
My question is why is it hard to continue a Manga/Anime.

RIP HUNTER X HUNTER
ifrit wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:19:12
Maxsous wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:16:11
My question is why is it hard to continue a Manga/Anime.

RIP HUNTER X HUNTER
it's honestly not that hard to continue something. Some of em just lazy mfs
togashi's body is broken af, dude can barely move most of the time
Well damn, Shokugeki too :/, been anime only for it and that is a bit disheartening hear but I guess it's expected as does seem to be a common theme which this thread is highlighting I guess.

Editors does make a lot of sense though, you make a great point. I think this is the same with Oda as One Piece was never meant to be this long and the Shichibukai but I guess he managed to make it around it but it does seem like a small flaw. I am a bit worried about One Piece in this aspect too..hoping it'll be okay

I guess drop offs should be expected, when they are massive though... I really want to ask if the Shougeki drop off was so much it ruins the whole thing but I may wait.
Image
I know this signature is old and got a obsolete clan on it but I think it fits me perfectly 8-)

Kayoxity
Member
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: August 18, 2019 7:21:35
Location: Hindustan

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 57892Post Kayoxity
May 10, 2020 14:15:15

dikrak wrote:
May 9, 2020 14:07:21
I'm just gonna say that Kaguya and Zetsu plot-twist was something to forget about.
I agree with you man. Naruto ending is not up to mark for me. Though maybe Kishimoto did that because he needed it for Boruto.

I think it is hard to do an ending because everything has to make sense now. And the audience needs to get a nice but also logical ending. Unlike fairy tail fights.

User avatar
Luxvan
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: April 14, 2020 21:49:24

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 57916Post Luxvan
May 10, 2020 15:29:44

Jg4879 wrote:
May 10, 2020 13:55:47
Luxvan wrote:
May 10, 2020 8:48:30
editors/publishers could have a big role in it, as they might force a series to continue somehow
a great recent example would be Shokugeki, which clearly had a great ending set up with its main villain being defeated and concluding this long, drawn out arc with little left for the story to finish off, but instead out of nowhere entirely new things are established that make no sense and go completely against the spirit of the rest of the series. the shocking drop of quality, which was universally disliked by fans until Shounen Jump finally pulled the plug on it, came at the same time of a new editor, and it's been said or rumored that Kishi was forced to keep going with Naruto for longer than he wanted, so it makes me think something similar might've happened with Shokugeki.


Maxsous wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:16:11
My question is why is it hard to continue a Manga/Anime.

RIP HUNTER X HUNTER
ifrit wrote:
May 4, 2020 20:19:12

it's honestly not that hard to continue something. Some of em just lazy mfs
togashi's body is broken af, dude can barely move most of the time
Well damn, Shokugeki too :/, been anime only for it and that is a bit disheartening hear but I guess it's expected as does seem to be a common theme which this thread is highlighting I guess.

Editors does make a lot of sense though, you make a great point. I think this is the same with Oda as One Piece was never meant to be this long and the Shichibukai but I guess he managed to make it around it but it does seem like a small flaw. I am a bit worried about One Piece in this aspect too..hoping it'll be okay

I guess drop offs should be expected, when they are massive though... I really want to ask if the Shougeki drop off was so much it ruins the whole thing but I may wait.
i wouldn't say that it completely ruins the series because i like to think of season 4 as a good cutoff point, like you could just pretend the series ends right there and it wouldn't be so bad, because everything afterwards feels so unnecessary and out of touch

but it's such a huge drop in quality that i actually dropped the manga about 30 chapters before the series ended after reading it weekly since the first season. i don't even know how it ends i just gave up lol
Luxvan (2008-2013) Luvixi (2013-2014) Fennekin (2014-2018)
Image Image

Jg4879
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: November 6, 2019 22:49:57

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 57970Post Jg4879
May 10, 2020 18:00:14

Kayoxity wrote:
May 10, 2020 14:15:15
dikrak wrote:
May 9, 2020 14:07:21
I'm just gonna say that Kaguya and Zetsu plot-twist was something to forget about.
I agree with you man. Naruto ending is not up to mark for me. Though maybe Kishimoto did that because he needed it for Boruto.

I think it is hard to do an ending because everything has to make sense now. And the audience needs to get a nice but also logical ending. Unlike fairy tail fights.
Oh boy, let's not bring Fairy Tail into this :lol: , that's been established as trash tier for a long time. Understand your point though, although things can start to not make sense before the end to be fair.



Luxvan wrote:
May 10, 2020 15:29:44
Jg4879 wrote:
May 10, 2020 13:55:47
Luxvan wrote:
May 10, 2020 8:48:30
editors/publishers could have a big role in it, as they might force a series to continue somehow
a great recent example would be Shokugeki, which clearly had a great ending set up with its main villain being defeated and concluding this long, drawn out arc with little left for the story to finish off, but instead out of nowhere entirely new things are established that make no sense and go completely against the spirit of the rest of the series. the shocking drop of quality, which was universally disliked by fans until Shounen Jump finally pulled the plug on it, came at the same time of a new editor, and it's been said or rumored that Kishi was forced to keep going with Naruto for longer than he wanted, so it makes me think something similar might've happened with Shokugeki.






togashi's body is broken af, dude can barely move most of the time
Well damn, Shokugeki too :/, been anime only for it and that is a bit disheartening hear but I guess it's expected as does seem to be a common theme which this thread is highlighting I guess.

Editors does make a lot of sense though, you make a great point. I think this is the same with Oda as One Piece was never meant to be this long and the Shichibukai but I guess he managed to make it around it but it does seem like a small flaw. I am a bit worried about One Piece in this aspect too..hoping it'll be okay

I guess drop offs should be expected, when they are massive though... I really want to ask if the Shougeki drop off was so much it ruins the whole thing but I may wait.
i wouldn't say that it completely ruins the series because i like to think of season 4 as a good cutoff point, like you could just pretend the series ends right there and it wouldn't be so bad, because everything afterwards feels so unnecessary and out of touch

but it's such a huge drop in quality that i actually dropped the manga about 30 chapters before the series ended after reading it weekly since the first season. i don't even know how it ends i just gave up lol
Yeah I understand what you mean, reminds me of my exact reaction with the Seven Deadly Sins manga. Such a shame really, things went that left that you dropped it, I'll still watch the anime when I can for Shokugeki. You don't have a part of you that wants to know the ending? Given the amount of time you put into etc?
Image
I know this signature is old and got a obsolete clan on it but I think it fits me perfectly 8-)

User avatar
Luxvan
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: April 14, 2020 21:49:24

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 58011Post Luxvan
May 10, 2020 21:36:55

Jg4879 wrote:
May 10, 2020 18:00:14


Yeah I understand what you mean, reminds me of my exact reaction with the Seven Deadly Sins manga. Such a shame really, things went that left that you dropped it, I'll still watch the anime when I can for Shokugeki. You don't have a part of you that wants to know the ending? Given the amount of time you put into etc?
given that it strayed so far from what i wanted to see, yeah i didn't really want to see how it ended
but i'm probably gonna watch the anime anyway because that's just what i do
Luxvan (2008-2013) Luvixi (2013-2014) Fennekin (2014-2018)
Image Image

Jg4879
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: November 6, 2019 22:49:57

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 58231Post Jg4879
May 11, 2020 12:13:14

Luxvan wrote:
May 10, 2020 21:36:55

given that it strayed so far from what i wanted to see, yeah i didn't really want to see how it ended
but i'm probably gonna watch the anime anyway because that's just what i do

So it became unrecognisable, shame. Hopefully the anime will be able to mitigate the fall off a bit but we'll see.



Since joining this topic, I been trying to think of anime/manga that went the length ended well and I can only think of FMA: Brotherhood and possibly Yu Yu Hakusho but I don't know what makes it different or even similar to others that didn't end well
Image
I know this signature is old and got a obsolete clan on it but I think it fits me perfectly 8-)

User avatar
Finus324
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 25, 2021 3:28:39

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 88636Post Finus324
February 25, 2021 3:59:06

probably because they are serialized and not necessarily planned out ahead of time - writers just make stuff up until there is no longer demand or they are just totally burnt out, so naturally the endings will be, let's just say, NOT so good!

User avatar
Blue
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: October 10, 2018 14:45:40

Re: Ending a Anime/Manga - Why is it difficult?

Post: # 88637Post Blue
February 25, 2021 3:59:40

:embarrassed:

Post Reply

Return to “Otaku Chat”