Death Note-esque animes recommendations?

Discuss specific anime series here. Only official discussion topics may be posted here. Refer to section rules for more information.
Spideyko

Death Note-esque animes recommendations?

February 14, 2020 13:19:22

I know there's ten thousand of these threads on the internet but hey, maybe something new will pop up?

I am looking for an anime that has these things (similar to DN):
  • cat and mouse-like story
  • deduction/detective work
  • surprising moments, explanations of plans/events (I loved how L/Kira would explain their plans in DN, or how Light planned the events starting from his voluntary imprisonment)
  • supernatural is good. All of these animes only work because they have a supernatural element, otherwise it would be too easy to catch the criminal or whatever. But if you know of a REALLY good detective anime without anything supernatural, I'm willing to try
  • I like the childish sociopath stereotype of a main character like Light in DN or Zero in Code Geass, someone smart and arrogant
  • I cannot stand some specific anime/cartoon drawing/animation styles. Animes like One Piece, I know this is very superficial, but I just cannot bear to look at it. So the style should be realistic or at least semi realistic (Death Note is perfect, Code Geass is already a bit cheesy but still okay)
Any ideas? I've heard that Future Diary might be what I'm looking for, but it seems to lack that sociopathic childish arrogant smart character that I like so much, or am I wrong?

Sash

Re: Death Note-esque animes recommendations?

January 28, 2021 13:08:48

Spideyko wrote:
February 14, 2020 13:19:22
I know there's ten thousand of these threads on the internet but hey, maybe something new will pop up?

I am looking for an anime that has these things (similar to DN):
  • cat and mouse-like story
  • deduction/detective work
  • surprising moments, explanations of plans/events (I loved how L/Kira would explain their plans in DN, or how Light planned the events starting from his voluntary imprisonment)
  • supernatural is good. All of these animes only work because they have a supernatural element, otherwise it would be too easy to catch the criminal or whatever. But if you know of a REALLY good detective anime without anything supernatural, I'm willing to try
  • I like the childish sociopath stereotype of a main character like Light in DN or Zero in Code Geass, someone smart and arrogant
  • I cannot stand some specific anime/cartoon drawing/animation styles. Animes like One Piece, I know this is very superficial, but I just cannot bear to look at it. So the style should be realistic or at least semi realistic (Death Note is perfect, Code Geass is already a bit cheesy but still okay)
Any ideas? I've heard that Future Diary might be what I'm looking for, but it seems to lack that sociopathic childish arrogant smart character that I like so much, or am I wrong?
I watched it a few years ago but iirc it was pretty good. iit was on netflix. Its name is B: the beginning . This one has a genius detective, but I cannot remember at all what the plot was about.

also here is some random link that lists a few mystery animes. https://www.ranker.com/list/best-myster ... nker-anime

also, kakegurui is reallyyyy good imo :D it's not what you're looking for but I'd recommend giving it a try!

here is a list of detective animes : https://thesmartlocal.com/japan/detective-anime/

MoriOgai

September 12, 2021 7:58:26

I guess Persona 5 (the anime, not the game) could fit your taste.
ぺードロと申す。
vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas

xDarko

September 12, 2021 8:14:59

Read the Death Note manga then lol

It sounds like you enjoy smart characters written in a smart way made for dummies/general audiences...or as Super Eyepatch Wolf puts it "Non Battle" Battle Anime
  • The Promised Neverland Season 1
  • Kaiji Ultimate Survivor (good luck with the art style)
  • Kaguya-sama: Love Is War
You're better off with TV shows like House, Breaking Bad & Mr Robot, as they have basically all those features. The 'supernatural' element only comes from the characters having specialty knowledge that you don't have, i.e., medicine, chemistry, hacking. You could try Sherlock if you can handle a smart character essentially doing magic instead

Parkiet

September 22, 2021 19:23:15

It's not what you want but watch code geass if you liked death note
MyAnimeList || Previous username: Pawelos96

Return to “Anime Series Discussions”